“It seemed to her that life on the plantation was busy and lazy at the same time. there were a great many things to do, all of them pleasant, and there was never any hurry about getting them done.”Felicity Saves the Day (page 7)
For homeschool this year, we’re using American Girl book series as a fun way to learn about American history. The books are really delightful and have strong male and female characters. All 3 of my kiddos (2 boys and 1 girl) enjoy listening to the stories read aloud by yours truly. The Felicity stories are set in the year 1774, at the time of the American Revolution, in Virginia. We finally finished reading the six books in the series.
1. Meet Felicity
2. Felicity Learns a Lesson
3. Felicity’s Surprise
4. Happy Birthday Felicity
5. Felicity Saves the Day
6. Changes for Felicity
We also read Very Funny Elizabeth (a companion book) and we referenced Felicity’s Cook Book and Welcome to Felicity’s World: 1774 – Life in Colonial America. You can find the books used on amazon, ebay, thrift books, etc.
We did the following hands-on projects that coordinated with the books:
1. Cook recipes from Felicity’s Cook Book – apple butter & johnnycakes
2. Tea Time (the kids like this apple vanilla tea by Republic of Tea)
3. Tin Punching Christmas ornaments – Here are instructions from Housewife Eclectic
4. Quilt Lessons with Muga (grandma)
5. Learn How to Cross Stitch
6. Writing with ink and quill (I found the quill, ink, and parchment paper sets at Rainbow Resource Center)
7. USA puzzle map (I picked this up at Goodwill a few months ago) & map the 13 colonies worksheet – Here are some great free printables 13 Colonies Worksheets
The idea is to read one book per week and do one hands-on Colonial-inspired activity per week. In real life, this took much longer than 6 weeks and we got distracted with other things several times.
If you run a better schedule than I do (and if we’re being completely honest it really wouldn’t take much), this lesson plan could be done in 6 weeks or so! At the end of our unit study we enjoyed a movie night and watched the Felicity DVD by American Girl.
Other activities that would be great to go along with this unit study: horse riding, dance lessons, and decorating the house for Christmas with fresh greenery.